The best tourmaline flat iron is sure to be a great addition to your hairstyling tools!
If you think that all flat irons are the same, you are wrong!
One thing that makes them different from one another is the material that is used.
Among others, tourmaline is one of the most popular materials you will find in the heating plates of flat irons.
Tourmaline is a crystal boron silicate material. It is a great alternative to ceramic and promises to style your hair without damage.
Looking for the best tourmaline flat iron in the market? We got you covered in the rest of this short buying guide.
The Benefits of a Tourmaline Flat Iron
Before we round up the top products that should be on your radar, here are some compelling benefits of buying a tourmaline flat iron.
- It Works for All Hair Types: Regardless of your hair type, tourmaline will work. Even for people who have damaged hair, tourmaline is a good choice for a hair straightener.
- It is Ideal Even for Daily Use: Even if tourmaline flat irons will generate heat, they are ideal for regular use and you don’t have to worry that it will cause damage.
- It Has Ionic Technology: Tourmaline flat irons are known for releasing negative ions. In turn, it will make your hair smooth, shiny, and frizz-free.
Our Top 5 Picks for the Best Tourmaline Flat Iron Reviews
Ready to buy a tourmaline flat iron? Here are the best products that should be on your list, as well as some of their most notable features.
1. HSI Professional Glider Flat Iron
This is one of the most popular hair straighteners in the market, so you can be confident about its quality and performance.
While ceramic is the main material in the heating plate, it is infused with tourmaline. The latter allows it to glide smoothly, which means that it will be snag-free.
One of the things that we love in this product is the variable temperature range. You can adjust the heat from 140 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. There is a convenient dial that will allow you to easily customize the temperature.
If you travel a lot, you will have another good reason to love this flat iron. It has a dual voltage capability, which means that you can use it anywhere.
As a bonus, when you purchase this product, you will get an argan oil treatment. Argan oil is from Morocco and considered liquid gold. It can help in improving the health of your hair despite the regular use of a flat iron.
Lastly, it comes with a one-year warranty from the manufacturer, which we find to be quite short.
- Has smooth-gliding plates
- High-heat output
- Delivers a wide temperature gauge
- Length may make it awkward to hold
2. Remington S8001G Wet 2 Straight Hair Straightening Iron
The name of this product speaks exactly of what it can do – it can get your hair from wet to straight. Best of all, the manufacturer promises that you don’t need to wait a long time before this happens.
The versatility of this hair straightener is one more thing that makes it hard to match. Regardless of your hairstyle, you can choose from the 26 digital heat settings available.
There is a dial-in temperature that will allow you to easily set the desired heat level. The maximum temperature that you can choose is 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
One more thing that we love in this product is the steam vent. This will be effective in releasing excess moisture as the plates glide through your hair.
We also like how it has a 2-inch plate. This is wider than what you will find in most of its competitors. This means that it won’t take long before you are done styling your hair.
- Has a swivel cord
- Easy to hold
- Heats quickly
- Can get extremely hot
- Has a foul smell
3. INFINITI PRO by CONAIR Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
Looking for a budget-friendly option for the best tourmaline flat iron? If you are, then this is another product that should make it on your list!
It has a two-inch heating plate, similar to the product mentioned above. This also means that it can quickly dry your hair. Another reason for the latter is its quick heat-up. It takes only 15 seconds before the plates are hot.
For versatility, you will love how there are five heat settings available to suit your needs. The maximum temperature that is can reach is 455 degrees Fahrenheit.
Another thing that makes it versatile is the fact that you can use it for both straightening and flipping your hair.
It comes with a floating plate design, which the manufacturer claims can glide smoothly on the hair. Despite this, however, some users noted that it can pull or snag hair. To prevent this, be careful to prevent hair damage.
For your safety, it is also a good thing that it comes with an automatic shut-off function.
- Heats quickly
- Can snag hair
- Has a flimsy plate
4. CHI Tourmaline Ceramic Hairstyling Iron
This is from one of the most reliable brands in the market, and that alone can already be a compelling reason to choose this over many of its competitors.
Looking at its features, one thing that makes it stand out is the temperature dial, which will allow you to conveniently choose the desired heat setting. The maximum temperature that you can set is 410 degrees Fahrenheit, which is recommended if you have thick hair.
You don’t need to wait a long time before it is ready. Once it is plugged, it will only take approximately 30 seconds before the plates are hot.
There is no need to be left guessing when it is ready to be used. There is an indicator light that will let you know when it is already hot and ready for straightening your hair.
This is also ideal for people who travel a lot since it comes with a dual voltage. It is also compact and lightweight, making it portable.
Lastly, there is a one-hour automatic shut-off if you don’t use the flat iron within one hour.
- Good for thick hair
- Lightweight and compact
- Has dual voltage
- Can pull hair
- May get extremely hot
5. CHI Expert Classic Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
This is also from Chi, so it shares a lot of similarities with the product that has been mentioned above. For instance, it also comes with a dual voltage, which makes it travel-friendly. The maximum temperature that it can reach is also 410 degrees Fahrenheit and there is also an automatic shut-off function after being inactive for an hour.
You will love how there is an adjustable dial in a strategic position. This means that you can effortlessly set the temperature as desired, unlike others that come with a fixed heat level.
Like the other flat irons that use ceramic and tourmaline as the plate materials, you can expect that it will be effective in the reduction of static and frizz. These materials also make it quick to heat up, which will take only approximately 30 seconds.
However, some people expressed concerns about how it is not suitable for those who have coarse and thick hair. In the case of the latter, you might want to find one that comes with a wider plate or a higher heat setting.
- Versatile styling tool
- Gets hot easily
- Has a dual voltage
- Has a lot of knockoffs
- Not good for people with coarse hair
Essential Factors to Consider
When buying the best tourmaline flat iron, here are some things that will help you narrow down the possibilities.
- Temperature: It will be good to have an adjustable and wide temperature range if you are looking for versatility. If you have thin and fragile hair, you don’t need too much heat. If you have thick and curly hair, on the other hand, you need a high-temperature setting.
- Power: The power of the flat iron is expressed in watts and directly related to its performance. It will dictate how quickly it will heat up. It can be frustrating if it takes forever before the flat iron gets hot.
- Size: We are talking about the size of the heating plate. It can be anywhere from 1 to 1.5-inch. If it is wider, it can straighten more hair within a single pass.
- Comfort: For the tourmaline flat iron to be comfortable, it should come with an ergonomic handle. This will make it easy to hold, even for an extended period. It should also be lightweight and the handle should not get hot. Another plus would be having a swivel cord.
- Cord: The length of the cord is also an important consideration. You don’t want to be always near the socket. It should be long enough to give you the freedom to move around.
- Safety: One of the best safety features that you should look for is automatic shut-off. You don’t need to worry even if you forget to unplug or turn off the flat iron.
- Warranty: For your peace of mind, pick a product that comes with a warranty beyond one-year. Within the warranty period, the manufacturer will provide free repair.
Tourmaline flat iron is more expensive compared to ceramic. Given its all benefits, however, it will be easy to justify the price.
The best tourmaline flat iron, including our recommendations in this buying guide, can restore your crowning glory! It can make your hair smoother and shinier while resisting damage at the same time.