Curly hair can be a curse for some people!
It is thick and hard to manage!
On a bad hair day, your curls will look all over the place.
Luckily, there are many options for the best hair straightening products for curly hair, including those that we’ll be briefly talking about in the rest of this short guide.
Keep on reading and we’ll let you know how to make your hair more manageable.
What Straightening Products Do You Need for Your Curly Hair?
Before we round up our recommendations, allow us to give you a rundown on the products that should be a part of your styling kit to straighten your curls.
- Flat Iron: This is non-negotiable. As you run your curls in between the hot plates, it will become straighter. It also has negative ions, which will prevent frizz while ensuring even heat distribution.
- Blow Dryer: Before you use a flat iron, you should dry your hair using a blow dryer. It should have a low heat setting, which is crucial for preventing damage. Like the flat iron, it should be made of materials that will prevent frizz and other health problems.
- Volumizer Brush: If your curls appear limp and flat once they are straight, you will need a volumizer brush. This will add life to your locks.
- Hair Oil: Applying the right hair oil after straightening your curly hair can help in making it shiny and full of life. This can also be effective in keeping your hair straight longer.
Our Top 6 Picks for the Best Hair Straightening Products for Curly Hair
Clueless about what you need for straightening curls? Here are some of the best styling products that you should consider using.
1. HSI Professional Glider Flat Iron
Your kinky and curly hair will become straight in minutes with the help of this flat iron.
Among others, one thing that we like the most in this product is the adjustable temperature setting, so you can choose the heat level that is appropriate for your needs. You can choose from 140 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
The 1-inch plate of the flat iron is made of ceramic and infused with tourmaline. This will generate negative ions. There will be smaller molecules of water penetrating your hair, which will be effective in the prevention of frizz.
Another thing that makes it an innovative product is the presence of micro-sensors. They will be helpful in the even distribution of heat. Although, some users noted that it can be prone to fluctuations and there will be times when it may not hold the anticipated temperature.
It is also perfect for those who love to travel. You can use it anywhere you are in the world because of its dual voltage capacity.
- Heats quickly
- Easy to use
- Comes with an adjustable temperature
- May not stay hot throughout its use
- Does not come with an automatic shut-off feature
2. Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer and Volumizer Hot Air Brush
When curls are straightened, one problem most people face is that they become limp. To transform your hair from being lifeless, this volumizer airbrush can offer the perfect solution.
This brush comes with ionic technology. This maintains the neutral charge on the surface of the hair, which is also the one responsible for the prevention of frizz. It will also be effective in making your hair shiny.
The brush comes with several innovative features that will make it a high-quality styling tool. For instance, there is a unique oval design to provide an extra lift on the curled edges of your hair. There are also airflow vents in a strategic position, which will speed up drying your hair.
The construction of this brush is also notable. It has nylon pin bristles with boar technology. They are designed in such a way that they will have a smoother grip on the hair while also adding shine.
Lastly, it comes with a four-year warranty from the manufacturer, which can provide you with peace of mind.
- Has an ergonomic handle
- Comes with high-quality bristles
- Prevents heat damage
- Power can be quite low
3. Olaplex Hair Perfector No. 3 Repairing Treatment
Over time, your curls can be damaged because of excessive heat from the styling products that you are using. This product from Olaplex promises to relieve damage. This is a home-repairing treatment that even salon pros are swearing to be effective.
With the regular use of this product, your hair will be smooth and silky. Even if you have curls, it will be easily manageable. When you straighten your curls, on the other hand, it can stop split ends.
Take note that this is not a conditioner. Rather, the manufacturer markets this product as a bond builder. It has active ingredients that will repair the broken bonds in your hair. It provides structural benefits to leave your curls stronger than they have ever been.
To use this product, dry your hair using a towel and comb it thoroughly. Apply on your hair and leave for about ten minutes. Some people leave it on the hair for up to 90 minutes. After leaving it, rinse, shampoo, and condition.
- Protects hair from damage
- Works for all hair types
- Prevents frizz
- May cause dryness
4. MoroccanOil Treatment
Argan oil has made a reputation as liquid gold from Morocco, so you can expect this product to do wonders when it comes to straightening your curly hair.
It is rich in antioxidants, which is the one responsible for nourishing and strengthening your hair. If you always use a straightener, this can be an effective oil to help repair damage caused by excessive heat.
Argan oil is also a rich source of Vitamin E or tocopherols. It also has essential fatty acids. They will make your hair fuller of life.
Another main ingredient that you will find in this hair oil is linseed extract. Derived from flaxseed, it is also a great source of essential fatty acids that will make your hair healthier.
We also love the way it smells. It has an exotic aroma that combines sweet floral notes and spicy amber fragrance.
However, be careful as there are a lot of knock-offs in the market. Be sure to purchase only from authorized sellers. The color, smell, and consistency will make it easy to differentiate the legit product from a fake one.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Can make your hair more manageable
- Has an exotic fragrance
- Lots of knockoffs
- Can be runny instead of thick
5. Wahl Color Pro Cordless Rechargeable Hair Clipper and Trimmer
For those who have short and curly hair, especially men, it is important to trim it regularly. This is not a straightener in any sense. However, we are still including this on our list in case you are looking for a product that can help in the maintenance of your hair.
We love how easy it is to use this clipper. It is light, compact, and portable. Best of all, it is cordless. No wire will limit your movement when it is used. It is powered by a battery that lasts 60 minutes when it is fully charged.
To offer versatility, however, there is also an option to use it corded. If you run out of battery, there’s no need to worry.
Speaking of versatility, we also like how there are color-coded attachments and hair guards that are included. You can use which one is most suitable for your hair.
It is also a good thing that you can use it internationally as it comes with a dual voltage.
- Comes with multiple attachments
- Has an ergonomic handle
- Can pull hair
- Some people find it to be quite loud
6. PURA D’OR Biotin Original Gold Label Anti-Thinning Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Like the product mentioned above, this is technically not a hair straightener for curly hair. This is a shampoo and conditioner set. It will work for all hair types, including curls.
Looking at the ingredients will give you good reasons to choose this over other shampoos and conditioners that can be used for curly hair. One of the main ingredients is nettle extract, which can block DHT and prevent hair loss.
It also contains Vitamin E. This will be effective in keeping your hair moisturized. Often, as a result of using hair straightening products, your hair may lose moisture. With Vitamin E, you can expect that your hair will stay hydrated.
Lastly, for your peace of mind, it is also worth noting that it comes with a satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy in any way, let the manufacturer know and they will issue an unconditional refund.
- Made using natural ingredients
- Blocks DHT, the hormone responsible for hair loss
- Effectiveness has been clinically proven
- Can cause tangles
- May have an unwanted smell
How to Straighten Your Curly Hair
Before we conclude this guide, allow us to give you a quick guide on how you can straighten your curls the right way.
- Start by washing your hair properly. Choose a shampoo and conditioner that is formulated for curly hair. Also, make sure to use lukewarm water. When the water is hot, it can cause cuticle damage and will make your curls ugly.
- Use a microfiber towel for drying your hair. Do not rub your hair with a cloth as this can result in frizz.
- Use a wide-tooth comb for combing your hair.
- Now, you are ready for blow-drying. Separate your hair into four quadrants, use a round brush, and dry each quadrant. Use warm or medium heat setting to prevent damage.
- Start using a flat iron on your curly hair once it is dry. Start at the front and move slowly to the back. Run the flat iron from the roots to the ends of your hair.
- When you are finished, add a serum if you want your hair to be shiny.
Yes, your curls can be a curse, but it depends on how you manage it!
Use the best hair straightening products, including our recommendations above, and for sure, you will love your locks!